Woodhouse Grange secures titles

Pride of place in this week’s Woodhouse Grange cricket report should go to the second team who, last Saturday, secured both the championship of the York Senior League division four and promotion from it for next season.

The 26 points that they secured from the best of a draw at second-placed Hull Zingari seconds took them to a whopping 113 points above all challengers.

Batting first, in a match reduced to 36 overs a side by the rain, Woodhouse made 180-6.

Top scorer was Matthew Shepherd who has been in remarkable all-round form in the last few weeks.

He made 51 not out and was well supported by 37 from James Hopwood and 33 from Michael Hattee, as Matthew Scarr took 3-43.

When it came to bowling, Shepherd claimed 4-50 as Zingari were restricted to 141-8.

With three matches left, the second team aim to retain their unbeaten record for the full season while Matthew Shepherd eyes up his personal target of 500 league runs and 40 league wickets.

The second team celebrated their division four championship with a run feast against Heworth seconds.

Leading the way were the Hattee brothers - Michael made a season’s best of 139 not out while younger brother Matthew added 57 in a Woodhouse total of 236-3.

When Heworth seconds replied there were good knocks from Paul Neal (53 not out) and Nadim Sadiq (49) but Matthew Shepherd pegged them back with 3-36 as they reached 154-8 to draw the match.

The first team’s match was eventually washed out, but not before opponents Clifton Alliance had been put under the cosh.

Tom Quinn and Steve Burdett reduced them to 8-4 before some hard hitting by Jason Gatus (58 not out) rescued them.

Even so, a reduced innings of 34 overs yielded them a score of only 106-8, as Burdett finished with 5-45.

Woodhouse looked to be in the box seat before rain and bad light set in again as the home team had faced only 13 overs and were 34-1.

By gaining 24 points from the best of a draw at Heworth on Bank Holiday Monday, the first team achieved the Championship of the York Senior League Premier Division for the third time in four seasons.

Batting first, on a very slow wicket, Woodhouse owed much to two of their younger players for raising a total of 186-9.

Chris Bilton contributed 51 with seven fours and a six while Andrew Anderson added a well-made 46 with five fours.

Heworth’s young off-spinner Andrew Simpson claimed 4-47 in 13 overs.

Two early run-outs in the Heworth innings, both executed by Andrew Anderson, put them behind the clock at 16-2 after 12 overs - a situation from which they never recovered.

Oliver Sherwood carried his bat for 50 overs to make 54 not out and Nick Hadfield took 2-17 in 12 overs, but the match petered away in to a stalemate as Heworth totalled 125-5.

The third team lost twice over the weekend.

On Saturday, the league game against already-promoted Hirst Courtney was lost by four wickets.

Woodhouse were bowled out for 132, despite a contribution of 78 from Colin Smith.

Ryan Pepper took two wickets but Hirst got home at 134-6.

On Sunday, the Vale League’s Prendergast Memorial Cup Final against North Duffield at Pocklington CC was lost by 10 runs after a very good game of cricket.

Woodhouse thirds had two excellent individual performances. Luke Phillippo claimed 6-45 as North Duffield were bowled out for 188, then Stuart Craven made 81 and nearly got Woodhouse home, with help from Rob Daniel (40), ending on 178-7.

Saturday sees the first team (away) and the second team (home) engaged in a double header against Fenner, both hoping to preserve their season-long unbeaten records.

The third team complete their season’s league fixtures at Fulfordgate, with an earlier 1.30pm start.

This Sunday sees the Craven Cup final at Woodhouse Grange between Woodhouse Grange Academy and Stamford Bridge, with a 2pm start.