Last-ditch effort not enough for Reserves

York Minster Engineering League Reserve Division B

Friday, 18th November 2011, 1:37 pm

Bishopthorpe United Reserves.............................................2

Wilberfoss AFC Reserves.....................................................1

Wilberfoss Reserves travelled to Bishopthorpe determined to get points on the board. The line-up again boasted both youth and experience, with several players enjoying another run-out in their debut senior season.

After a scrappy start from both teams, Bishopthorpe United Reserves took advantage with a hopeful long-range shot that skidded across the wet surface and somehow found the gap between keeper and goalpost.

After the disappointing start, Wilberfoss dug in and produced some impressive passing play with Paul Walker and James Parkin linking up well on the left-hand side, beating their man and feeding the ball forward to hard-working striker Chris Allen. A free kick from Walker should have been converted at the near post but was put agonisingly wide after a goal mouth scramble involving Pete Norman and Luke Barker. But, minutes later, the pressure paid off when Allen’s low corner to the near post was deftly flicked in by midfielder Matt Hill.

Wilberfoss came out after the break with renewed vigour and, for the first 20 minutes, dominated play, yet the possession was not converted, with several good chances spurned.

With Bishopthorpe enjoying more of the ball, the Wilberfoss defence was put under increasing pressure, yet with assured defending from the back line, including another mature performance from 17-year-old Ross Etherington alongside Gaz Brooks, the Wilberfoss goal looked well protected. With little between the two teams, the next goal in the match looked increasingly important.

As the game became more stretched, an impressive move from Wilberfoss saw speedy winger Luke Cattle square the ball across the six-yard box to substitute Nick Daniels, only for a defender to get a faint touch and put off the striker who could only put the ball over from close range. Wilberfoss soon paid for their lack of ruthlessness in front of goal. Failing to clear the ball, a skilful chip across to the far post was met by a midfielder who ghosted in to finish.

Some last-ditch efforts late on were not enough and Bishopthorpe gladly took all three points.

Once again, Wilberfoss had nothing to show for another strong performance, but it is surely a matter of time before they record another win in their so far faltering Reserve Division B campaign.