Rainfall ruins Melbourne match

Melbourne were put in to bat by Thorpe Willoughby in gloomy conditions.

Lewis Smith and Dave Watson bowled tightly to restrict Melbourne openers Andy Wilson and Ben Thompson, but both played well and gradually the board moved along.

Wilson (24) was bowled by Seaman (3-56) in the 15th over. At 23 overs, with 66-1 on the board, the heavens opened with torrential rain and hailstones which looked set in for the afternoon.

After an early tea and an hour wait it was decided that play should resume - the wicket had been saved thanks to Thorpe’s newly-acquired covers but the outfield was particularly sodden.

Thompson had remained focused throughout the break and continued where he left off, playing some of his best cricket this season. However he was given out lbw off the bowling of Seaman in the 29th over when on 36.

Matt Beevers and Oliver Steels made the most of every loose ball until Beevers (30) was out lbw off the bowling of Shefta (2-47).

Brian Underwood made 12 before being out to a superb catch by Shefta off the bowling of Seaman.

Jon Clark was unable to match the quick running power of Steels and was run out for a duck.

Steels was out in the following over, caught by Powell on the boundary off the bowling of Watson, having made 30 which consisted of four fours and a six.

Melbourne captain Paul Coe made two before being bowled by Shefta.

Nick Boyd and Charlie Smith added a good 13 to the board in the last two overs before Boyd was run out on the last ball of the innings.

Smith finished on a good eight not out in a total of 162-8 after 40 overs.

In reply, with Lewis Smith and Nas Shefta at the crease, only 6.3 overs were bowled and 24 runs scored before the heavens opened once again and rain stopped play.

Next week sees Melbourne at home to Malton and Old Malton for the final game of the season looking for a win to guarantee third place in the table. Please note it is a 1.30pm start.

Many thanks to the match ball sponsor, Melbourne based SUMO UK LTD.