Pocklington Town show some improvement after last week

Share this article

Pocklington Town.................1

Sculcoates Amateurs...........3

Despite Marshal Tyres sponsored Pocklington going 2-0 down against the strong wind at home last Saturday, a good second half effort wasn’t quite enough as they conceded a late third against Sculcoates Amateurs to finish without reward, despite an improved performance on the previous week’s game.

Despite kicking off against the stiff breeze, Town made a bright start and a cross by Scott Sullivan inside the first couple of minutes only just eluded Chris Saltmer’s far post run, while a Jim Drewery flick was met by a header from Aziz Barakat that went narrowly wide on four minutes.

Scullys were soon able to exert some pressure though, and a warning came on seven minutes when a long-range effort was well gathered by Pock keeper Adam Thomas.

The visitors took the lead soon afterwards though, when a crossfield diagonal caught the Town defence square and a well-placed header picked out the top corner for an all-too-easy goal to have conceded.

Pock replied with a long throw from Alex Cutts that was headed on but, with no Town player making the second run, it went harmlessly across the face of the Scullys goal.

With Pock well organised and composed on the ball, they were able to play their way out of the pressure that the conditions and a useful visiting side put them under.

Town were slow to react on 24 minutes when a quick one-two pass on the halfway line set up a break down the Pock right and another well-directed cross saw a second goal with a near post finish.

But Pock kept working hard and a short free kick from Cutts sent Saltmer through on the half hour. His mazy run saw him get off a shot that was blocked in the Scullys area, but with the wind making playing flowing football for both sides difficult, Thomas’ attempted clearance blew up in the air and back at him, needing the Town keeper to catch the second ball.

As it had come off a backpass the referee had to give an indirect free kick but, despite the shot being lashed into the top corner, it was struck directly so the goal was disallowed and Town went into the interval 2-0 down but with the weather now in their favour.

Pock pressed back Scullys straight from the restart and, for 15 minutes, the visitors were unable to clear their lines as Town enjoyed a series of throws and corners around the Scullys area.

They pulled a goal back on the hour when Tom Rogers picked up a partially-cleared cross 25 yards out and his intuitive pass was dummied by Stu Lawson for Sullivan’s run and angled drive from 12 yards to reduce the deficit.

Despite this boost, Pock struggled to make further headway and with the final pass just lacking that bit of quality and Scullys defending well and in depth, the home side couldn’t manage to find a way through.

This left them vulnerable to the counter attack and, on 74 minutes, a Scullys break saw them pull Town’s defensive cover apart and hit the post. Thomas made a brave block at the feet of a Scullys forward while shots from Drewery, Sullivan and Rogers all failed to trouble the Scullys keeper.

After a lot of hard work and pressing, they were hit by the sucker punch on 88 minutes when Scullys broke again and, with the cross holding up in the wind, a Scullys sub was able to chip the ball over Thomas to seal the three points for the visitors and end a plucky showing from the home side.

Despite the result, there were a lot of good performances with Lawson, Drewery, Greg Nesbitt and Saltmer all having excellent games alongside the man of the match, Tom 

Pock are now on their travels for the next three weeks, starting with an away game against Hedon Rangers this weekend. Players meet at the club at 12pm, please.