Pock Town below par in disappointing match

Hedon Rangers.....................1

Pocklington Town................0

Marshal Tyres sponsored Pocklington turned in a below par performance on another wind affected matchday away last weekend, to go down to the only goal of the game against a well-organised Hedon side who played better on the day.

Pock were forced into a last minute change to their starting line-up when influential centre back Stu Lawson had a problem with his knee in the warm up, with Chris Saltmer coming in at right back in a defensive reshuffle.

Town created the first chance of the game on six minutes when good interplay between James Haigh and Tom Rogers set up Greg Nesbitt for a shot that flew narrowly over the bar, Hedon replying with a shot of their own on eight minutes that was well gathered by keeper Adam Thomas.

Playing against the strong wind made it difficult for Town to clear their lines and, when Hedon were awarded a free kick out on the right hand side on 10 minutes, it needed a desperate goalmouth clearance by the Pock defence as the ball pinballed off both posts and was scrambled clear.

With Saltmer getting forward and supporting Town’s attacking play, they got into good positions but were unable to find the final ball through a very good Hedon centre back pairing and, when they did get round the corners, crosses eluded the front runners and, despite a lot of effort from both teams, neither side was able to trouble the keepers.

Pock were guilty of making too many misplaced passes as they continually gave possession away in all areas of the field but their defensive shape and good work rate saw the half end all square.

Despite now playing with the conditions in their favour, Pock were still struggling to get a control of the game and, despite Saltmer moving into midfield as Pock introduced their substitutes in an effort to turn the game their way, Hedon still looked the more likely to score.

They thought that they had broken the deadlock from a corner but the referee saw a shove on a Town defender and disallowed the goal.

But Pock wasted this let off by conceding a free kick on the edge of their area straight from the restart and a well-delivered cross was met by a powerful free header into the top corner to put the home side ahead on 74 minutes.

Pock made all their changes in an attempt to get back into the game and, despite good approach play from Tom Reay, Dan Boneham and Haigh, Town had one of those 
days where they probably wouldn’t have scored if they had played for another 90 minutes.

The game ended with Pock pressing and Hedon almost doubling their lead on the counter attack for a frustrating afternoon’s football for Town and a missed chance to climb into mid-table.

They are on their travels next week and will be without their man of the match from this game Chris Saltmer, who is unavailable. Players meet at the club at 12pm, please.

Last weekend’s torrential rain saw the postponement of Pocklington Town’s York Division 1 and Reserve B home games as well as all of the Driffield league games.

With the prospects for a drier week, Pocklington’s York Divison 1 team are on their travels to Selby to take on Brooklyn FC while there are home games for the Reserve B team against Bishopthorpe United Reserves and the Driffield league team at home to AFC Lounge Bar.

Players meet at the club at 12.15pm for the away game and 1pm for the home games, please.