Runners battle with the elements

Warwick Anderson and Richard Ginn undertook an arduous ultra event in severely challenging conditions. The Fellsman is a high-level traverse covering more than 60 miles over very hard rugged moorland. The event climbs over 11,000 feet in its path from Ingleton to Threshfield in the Yorkshire Dales. This is not just a test of endurance, but of navigational skills.

Warwick and Richard had to contend with very tough conditions of strong headwinds, approximately 30mph generally, but gusting to 70mph in the daytime. Despite the nice sunshine they had, at the same time, warm backs and freezing fronts from the high winds.

Conditions deteriorated as the sun went down and, in the dark, the conditions got very serious with wind chill factors of -10C and gusting winds. Horizontal hail and snow hypothermia was a constant threat. Despite running on legs that had run a sub three-hour marathon in London, Richard pushed on bravely but on frozen boggy ground, in fog and at height, in these conditions it was very serious.

By this stage they were relying on GPS and were wearing all available clothing and it was a battle. Understandably, their pace was now a walk and they just wanted to get off the hill and finish, which they finally did at about 2.30am, 17 hours after setting off. As they were finishing, the race was suspended due to terrible conditions and people from all over were being bussed back to the finish, many with varying serious hypothermia.

Keith Oliver took part in the Greater Manchester marathon which took place in driving rain and high winds. Keith recorded an excellent time of 3:46:12 which placed him sixth in category.

The Ravenscar coastal half marathon was also made more difficult by inclement weather. This race is staged to support the Scarborough and Ryedale Mountain rescue team. The high winds and rain reduced the field to around 80 runners, who took on the course along coastal footpaths, a disused railway line, through woods and up and down some incredible steep sections.

Simon Rycroft, Stuart Evans, Stuart Smith and Ed Rawlings represented Pocklington Runners. Simon finished in second place, his highest placing to date, in 1:33:37 with Stuart Evans recording a time of 1:50:20.

The course for this weekend’s York Park Run 5k race had to be altered to avoid lake-sized puddles. Mike Pullon was looking for a bit of speed after running the Hull marathon and finished in 21:24 (second in category). Debbie (first in category) and Simon Rycroft ran together and crossed the line in a joint PB of 24:23.

Pocklington Runners meet for training runs on Wednesday evenings at the rugby club at 6.30pm. For full details visit