Pock well-beaten by Heath

editorial image



Pocklington ended well-beaten at Heath, where they paid a heavy price for producing their worst half of rugby of the season so far. 

Yara-sponsored Pocklington were below par in the first period. Nevertheless, they missed a golden opportunity to be in front at the interval, only to be stung by a Heath interception against the run of play.

That shock score rocked Pocklington and it was all downhll from there as Heath took their chances with aplomb to cross for three converted second half tries and run out easy winners.

Pocklington knew they needed to be on their mettle as Heath had lost only one league game this season, and were unbeaten at home. But Pocklington were struggling to find their rhythm from the outset and Heath kicked an early penalty to take the lead.

Pocklington’s first attack saw them have a penalty shot, but Nick Bennett’s kick went wide and, as errors and giving away needless penalties crept back into Pocklington’s play, Heath were on target with two more penalties to stretch their lead to nine points.

Skipper Matt Webber rallied his side and Pocklington belatedly sprung to life. They came back strongly with a series of pack drives that saw them put the home side under the cosh at the start of the second quarter. Heath produced some desperate defence to keep Pocklington at bay, but at the cost of having two men sin-binned for the last ten minutes of the half.

It was Pocklington’s big chance to take the game by the scruff of the neck and they took advantage with more pressure that ended with scrum half Ben Rees, who caused persistent problems with his bursts from the base of the scrum, powering over for a try, converted by fullback Bennett, to make it 9-7.

Pocklington went straight back on the attack against 13 men and looked odds on to score again before the interval. They were bearing down on the home line with men over, but Heath gambled on the interception, snatched a deflected pass and went almost full length for a converted breakaway try. 

Boosted by that unexpected score and their return to full complement at the start of the second half, Heath took increasing control as the play progressed, while Pocklington’s performance became littered with more errors and penalties. Heath kicked an early penalty goal then put another penalty in the corner, won the lineout and went over for a converted pack try.

Pocklington tried to respond and got into a good attacking position only to concede a further penalty for Heath to clear. And the home side gave a lesson in taking their opportunities by again kicking to the corner and driving over for a carbon copy converted try.

Pocklington back row Jack Holbrough made a couple of big tackles as Pocklington tried to rescue a lost cause, but they continued to shoot themselves in the foot with wrong options and free kicks, and Heath had the final word, with a good back raid bringing them another converted try to complete the scoring.