Pock under-15s close out victory

Share this article

Market Rasen & Louth RUFC 5

Pocklington RUFC 45

Was it to be a case of ‘after the Lord Mayor’s show’ as Pocklington travelled to Market Rasen on the back of two superb wins against Doncaster and Middlesbrough?

The score would suggest otherwise, but it seemed the performance did not have the same intensity as the two previous games. It would be churlish to criticise the players or to ask any more of them than they gave on the day. It was simply that, as a contest, this game was over well before half time, and the players had no reason to up their game.

Early on, the visitors took the lead as John Soanes side-stepped to create space and score close to the posts.

It looked like it was going to be an even game as the hosts replied with an impressive solo effort as their fly half jinked through from a lineout on the 10-metre line. From a scrum on the half-way line, Pocklington moved the ball well along the line for Soanes to run through under the posts to restore the lead, and Joe Laudage added the extra points with his boot.

Laudage followed up his conversion with a try just minutes later as he rounded the centre and handed off the winger on his way to a try in the corner. With a two-try cushion, the visitors began to turn the screw and Market Rasen began to struggle for any meaningful possession. In space, the visiting backs threatened as Nick Harvey was released down the wing, bringing play into the hosts’ 22.

The pack managed to retain and recycle the ball sending it in-field for Finlay Mooney to spin through a gap for a try which Alfie Hubble converted, giving the visitors a commanding 24-5 lead.

The second half started scrappily, with Pocklington conceding penalties, but Market Rasen passing up on the opportunity to clear their lines. Jack Lakin put his recent interval training to good use as he set off down the wing at a gallop, setting up an attacking position from which, eventually, Hubble fed Mooney who forced his way over the try line.

Laudage converted again and, once again, followed up with a try of his own as he spurned the overlap and held on to barge his way to the line. Hubble converting for a 38-5 lead. Soanes completed the scoring, and a well-deserved hat-trick, when he burst through from the 10-metre line, and Eddie Dixon added the conversion.

This wasn’t a game of heroics, but it was a game where the team turned up and did what it was supposed to do, and we can’t ask for more than that.