Pock dominate Wheatley Hills


Wheatley Hills......................10

A dominant second half display gave Pocklington a convincing bonus point victory at home to Wheatley Hils.

The game was still in the balance as Pocklington only led 15-10 at the interval, but they pulled clear with three unanswered second half tries.

Yara-sponsored Pocklington had long serving prop John-Paul Kelly back on the bench after injury, but it was his teenage understudy, JackHelme, who made one of the day’s most telling contributions, scoring the first try and making another as the home forwards overcame a Wheatley Hills eight packed with players with top level experience.

Though Pocklington eventually won with something to spare they had to come back from being ten points down after half an hour.

Pocklington spent plenty of time in Wheatley territory in the first quarter but were periodically penalised, allowing Wheatley to clear.

Wheatley Hills opened the scoring with an 11th minute penalty goal for a late tackle.

Pocklington replied with some good raids, including Charlie Allen, Tim Nixon and Dave Birch twice combining down the left flank, before Wheatley increased their lead with a converted try in the corner. The visitors used the short side well from a scrum on halfway, but defensively it was a soft score.

Pocklington got back into Wheatley’s half and this time stayed there until Billy Hardy, resuming the home goalkicking duties for the first time since Christmas, popped over a penalty on the half hour.

That produced the launchpad for Pocklington to grab two touchdowns infive minutes before the break.

A Pock pack surge took the ball into the visitors 22 and prop Helme burst over from 20 yards.

Pocklington straightaway resumed the offensive and Jack Holbrough, selected at centre, hammered the ball up in midfield.

The forwards took over to drive towards the line with an unstoppable rolling maul and Holbrough decided to double back and rejoin the rumble to poach the score, Hardy converting.

Pocklington stepped up a gear in the second period, their strong tackling pinning Wheatley Hills back and periodically turning over possession.

Quick hands left saw wing Nixon power over at the flag only to be ruled to have put a foot on the line in-goal; but Pocklington were not to be denied and remained camped in the bottom corner until Helme went on another charge and No 8 Marcus Britland followed him to pick up at pace and plunge over, Hardy converting.

Pocklington were in the driving seat as Hills were dispossessed.

Replacement back row Ben Stephenson sliced through on the right to head for the line and hooker Dave Birch appeared on his shoulder to score at the posts and wrap up a four-try bonus point, Hardy again adding theextras.

As Pocklington coasted home, another big tackle freed the ball inside the Wheatley half.

More slick offloading saw the Pock backs sprint away down the left flank with fly half Pete Massie feeding Nixon to rampage over and this time his touchdown was good.

Hardy’s fifth kick out of six completed the scoring and set the seal on a satisfying performance.