Conditions hinder U9s

editorial image

A dedicated squad of ten under-nines left the sunshine in Pocklington to travel to the wind, rain and occasional hailstones at the Driffield Festival in the final local games of the season.

The team played Grimsby in their first game and luckily the weather stayed fine, although windy, for a tough first half with the boys playing into the wind.

Ollie Mercer and Max Lee put in some tough tackles and defended hard. After half time the score was 0-0 and some strong defending was needed to keep the score in Pock’s favour. Second-half sub Zac Melemendjian provided this with some determined work. Finally, the luck turned and, supported by Will Coates, Harry Jones scored the only try of the game, making the final score 1–0 to Pock.

The second game was always going to be tough, playing against the ever–strong Sandal team. The boys put in some determined effort and worked hard in wet and windy conditions, but unfortunately were beaten by a well-drilled Sandal squad despite some excellent defensive work from Thomas Brown and an almost perfect run from Maxwell Wilmott.

The final group game was Beverley and, once again, the weather was fine throughout the match. It was a closely–fought match and the Pock forwards were worked hard to defend the try line. The second half saw some well thought out play from Joseph Ward and James Bramma, and the match ended tensely with a hard–won try for Pocklington, nudged over the line by Alistair Deacon.

Pocklington were runners–up in their group which meant a play–off match against group one runners–up York. A wait of over an hour for this match and the deterioration of the weather no doubt contributed to a performance which did not match the team’s usual skill and effort and, unfortunately, the boys did not manage to defeat a York side who had more set play and, perhaps more importantly, more players to sub on at half time.

A great performance from the boys in difficult conditions – well done to all involved.