Mixed start for Wilberfoss

Share this article

York Minister Engineering League

Premier Division

Wilberfoss 0

Dunnington 1

Axis Project Management Ltd sponsored Wilberfoss AFC have had a mixed start to their 2001/2012 season.

The first team, playing in the Minster Engineering York Premier League, got off to a good start, with back to back wins against Wigginton Grasshoppers and Keystones FC, but were brought back down to earth losing their next four games on the trot, all against top four opposition.

Last Saturday saw them entertain table-topping rivals Dunnington FC, who had previously won six out of six, with Wilberfoss forced to put out a side depleted though injury/suspensions and availability.

After a slow start to the game, which saw the visitors put the home side under extreme pressure, the ‘young guns’ of Wilberfoss rallied and finished the half on level terms.

Indeed they were lucky not to concede just before the break when Dunnington broke down the right wing and it was only a superb fingertip save from Rich Cole in the home goal that kept them at bay.

The second half was a much more lively affair with both teams pushing forward in search for that elusive opening goal.

George Thompson and Robin Walker, in the home defence, were once again outstanding, keeping a very lively Dunnington forward line at arm’s length, ably assisted by Cole, who pulled off some more fine saves.

With Adam Lofthouse and Rob Carter creating from the middle of the park, and the non-stop running from Carl Laverick up front for Wilberfoss, the home side to began to create chances of their own.

New signing Danny Ashton was unlucky not to break free of his markers, when he timed his run perfectly down the right wing on to a superbly flighted through ball from Carter, but he just could not take the ball in his stride.

With the match looking like ending up as a draw, which in reflection would have been a fair result, Dunnington broke the deadlock in the 95th minute, with the last kick of the game.

Manager Paul Jacques commented after the game: “This was a very disappointing result for Wilberfoss, after the team showed such great endeavour, against a good Dunnington side. Where the extra time came from I am not sure, as the trainers from either side did not come on to the field of play.

“We can only take heart from the performance and look to turn it around against Nestle Rowntrees next week.”

The second team have yet to start their league fixtures, but represented the club in the annual Mike Morris/Neil Green tournament, losing against the hosts Pocklington in the first round, before going out of the competition against Dunnington.

“We fielded very young sides in both games, so that the players can gain valued experience,” Andy Parkin, the second team manager, stated in his after match report.