Town struggle to victory

Pock 1st
Pock 1st

Humber Premier League - Premier Division

Pocklington Town................................................................................................1

North Ferriby United Reserves............................................................................0

MARSHAL TYRES sponsored Pocklington Town completed the league double over Ferriby Reserves at the Balk last Saturday in a game spoiled by the windy conditions.

In truth, both teams struggled to get out of second gear and looked rusty after the recent enforced break due to the bad weather. Pock made the better start though and pressed Ferriby back, but too many misplaced passes set the tone for a what was to become a frustrating afternoon.

Ferriby created the first chance on five minutes, when a counter attack saw a pinpoint crossfield pass from left to right pick out the visitors’ right midfielder. His first time volley was struck with great technique but dipped just over the bar and Ferriby started to get into the game more as Pock played at too low a tempo. Solid defending was required by the Town back line of Rob Gibson, Stu Lawson, Mark Watkinson and Kev Goodwin to snuff out potential attacks.

Clever thinking by Chris Scott on 18 minutes saw his quick throw set Dan Boneham through on goal, he lobbed the keeper but couldn’t get on the loose ball as it went inches past the wrong side of the post and Ferriby replied with a series of long throws and corners that were met by headers that failed to hit the target.

Pock scored on 23 minutes when Lawson’s long pass turned the Ferriby defence and Boneham’s electric pace saw him beat the defender before taking the ball past the keeper to score from five yards out. A superb cross by Craig Hargreaves picked out Scott, only for a poor first touch to see the chance go to waste and Pock missed the chance to double their lead on 39 minutes when good interplay between Hargreaves and Scott again sent Boneham clear.

Again, though, the chance went begging with a left-footed effort scraping the wrong side of the post, but the half-time interval allowed Pock to gather their breath and start the second half a goal to the good. That should have been 2-0 inside two minutes of the restart when Boneham’s run from the Pock kick off was halted in the area, with only the referee failing to spot the place of the foul as he awarded a free kick on the edge. Scott struck a thunderbolt narrowly over the bar, but the second half took on the look of the first, with both teams struggling to impose themselves or to raise their game.

Ferriby enjoyed spells of pressure, but with Town’s midfield of Hargreaves, Ben Alport, Tom Rogers and John Heads playing a conservative game, space was hard to find as Pock defended with composure.

The only real chance for the visitors in the second half came from an overlap down the Town right but keeper Rob Kunkel came to the rescue, quickly getting off his line to make a great block. Rob picked up an injury in the tackle and the loose ball was fired just wide but, after several minutes of treatment for a cut, he was able to continue.

Town introduced their replacements to try to change things up and Lewis Cant and Martin Day certainly improved Town’s performance. Day was played clean through on 75 minutes but the Ferriby keeper was equal to the shot, tipping it away for a corner as Pock played on the break and, with Pock content to close the game out, Ferriby enjoyed possession without creating clear cut chances.

Despite six minutes of added time, Town gathered another three points to remain mid-table but will really need to up their performance against local rivals Beverley Town, who visit the Balk this Saturday, if they are to continue their winning run.

Players meet at the club at 12.45pm, please.