Town back to winning ways

Humber Premier League

Pocklington Town............................5

Bridlington Sports Club...................0

Looking to put Wednesday’s result behind them, Marshal Tyres sponsored Pocklington Town completed their home fixtures for the season against a Bridlington Sports team that featured only five players from the team beaten by Pock away in October. Manager Rich Bower was also forced into changes from Wednesday’s team, with five of his own team unavailable. Town made a good start to the game though, with a high tempo on a hot afternoon pressing the visitors back from the start.

Tom Rogers played the recalled Dan Boneham in on six minutes, only for Brid keeper Janney to make the first of what was to be several excellent saves. A well-worked Pock throw in on eight minutes saw excellent one-touch passing between five players set up Boneham for another chance that went wide of the mark.

But Town took the lead on 10 minutes when Ben Alport picked up a loose Brid pass and sent Boneham clear again. He made no mistake with a cool lob over the keeper from 22 yards to get Pock up and running and set the tone for the next 20 minutes. A James Haigh free kick set up another chance that was missed as Pock kept their foot on the throttle, with Brid having no answer to Town’s passing and movement.

A cynical foul on Boneham on 31 minutes, just as he was about to break into the area, set up a free kick that Craig Hargreaves curled over the wall and into the corner to put Pock two goals ahead. But, with Town’s tempo dipping as the half came to an end, Carl Silburn had to be alert in the Pock goal to make a good block as poor passing put Town under pressure.

The home side went into the break 2-0 up and looking to press home their advantage in the second period. They carried on where they had left off and pressed Brid back but were thwarted by the Sports keeper three times in the first 15 minutes. Boneham saw two one-on-one chances blocked by Janney as Town caught the Brid defence square and, when a chance was created by the quick feet of Heads, another quality save prevented a third for the home side.

Eventually the pressure had to tell and when James Haigh picked up the ball on the halfway line, he set off on a run that took him all the way to the Brid near post. A calm finish across the keeper made it 3-0 as the goals started to come and another flowing passing move saw Hargreaves just fail to keep his shot on target.

A throw out from Silburn set up Haigh for a pass through the Brid defence for Boneham to bag his second on 79 minutes and he wrapped up his hat-trick a minute later when Andy Anderson’s work rate played him in again.

A scoreline of 5-0 didn’t flatter Pock on a day when Brid had too many players missing but, after two recent narrow defeats, it was important that Pock got back to winning ways having played well in all three games.

Anderson deservedly got the man of the match award for an unselfish and hard-working performance that created the chances for his team mates as Pock go into their last three games of the season, all away from home.

Next Saturday sees them at Hessle Rangers, players meet at the club at 12.15pm, please.