Tough week for Pocklington Town as fixtures pile up

Marshal Tyres sponsored Pocklington Towns Humber team embarked on a punishing schedule of four games in 10 days on Wednesday 20th of April, with three of those against teams in the top four.

Pocklington Town 0 - 2 North Cave

With a squad struggling to overcome a raft of injuries and unavailability, Pock took on North Cave at home and came up against a team who are finishing the season strongly after a recent improvement in their results. Despite a good performance full of shape and discipline, Pock conceded a penalty in the first half and defended a throw in poorly in the second to lose 2-0, although they could take heart from a gutsy performance from the whole team against an excellent Cave side who avenged the 6-0 win by Pock at their place in October.

Crown FC 2 - 1 Pocklington Town

Saturday the 24th saw Town travel to South Holderness college to take on Crown FC. With both teams looking to play a passing game on an excellent 4G surface, Crown took the lead on 10 minutes when their centre back was allowed to travel 30 yards from the half way line to get in a shot that keeper Carl Silburn parried away. A home forward got to the loose ball first to put Crown ahead.

Despite Town again keeping their shape and discipline well, Crown almost caught Pock out with long balls into the channels and it needed good headers from Mark Watkinson and Craig Hargreaves to prevent serious threats on the Pock goal.

Crown doubled their lead on 25 minutes when Town failed to deal well enough with a corner, allowing a runner space to nip in between defender and keeper for a free nod in from 6 yards. Good interplay between Kalum Horne and Nathan Hind set up a near post chance for Kev Goodwin right on half time but he was unable to keep his shot down as Pock went into the break looking to improve on a lacklustre first half effort.

A Dan Boneham shot flew narrowly wide early in the second period as Town moved up a gear while Nathan Hind failed to make the most of a promising opportunity with a poor shot as the visitors pressed Crown back. With a good flow to the game, Pock pulled a goal back on 81 minutes when a Horne free kick fell to Boneham 6 yards out for him to fire in at the near post.

Crown then had their centre half dismissed for abusive language to allow Town to press strongly for an equaliser but chances came and went begging to see Pock pay the penalty for a lacklustre first half performance and lose by the odd goal in three. There was worse to come with further injuries ruling three players out for the midweek game.

Pocklington Town 1 - 4 North Ferriby United Reserves

Without a recognised centre back available and with a total of six regulars missing, Pock took on their cup final opponents at home on Weds 27th. A good start by Pock saw them create a chance on 3 minutes when good interplay between Kalum Horne, Lewis Cant, and James Haigh set up Martyn Day for a blocked chance.

More good Pock passing saw Haigh set up a chance for Nathan Hind that was chipped wide, while a brilliant run by Horne got him into the area but unable to get his shot off. Ferriby threatened with a corner on 17 minutes that needed a clearance off the line by Craig Hargreaves but it was Pock who took the lead on the half hour when a quality passing move opened up the Ferriby defence, Horne playing in Day for an excellent finish into the top corner.

The visitors almost equalised on half time when they broke down the inside right channel but a shot bounced to safety off the crossbar but the game would come to life with an end to end second period. A Haigh curler just drifted wide on 49 minutes as Pock threatened but with Ferriby using the subs to good effect and changing their shape, Pock started to get stretched.

12 minutes in, the otherwise excellent Ben Alport passed straight to a Ferriby forward, who wasted the chance by shooting wide while Day brought an excellent save from the Ferriby keeper when he was played in by Haigh. Ferriby saw a goal disallowed for offside but the tide had turned as Pock tired and when Pock failed to deal with a long throw into their area, a goal mouth scramble was forced home to level things up on 69 minutes.

Town missed a great chance to retake the lead on 76 minutes when Andy Anderson played in Hind behind a square defence. The Ferriby keeper came to his sides rescue with a save for a corner and the visitors made the most of the let off to go ahead on 86 minutes when the exposed the Pock right and headed in.

Anderson made a horrible back pass that needed grwat interventions by keeper Rob Kunkel and Ben Alport to clear the danger but this led to a mad 5 minutes as Pock tired badly and individual mistakes presented Ferriby with several more chances, two of which allowed them to finish the game with a 4-1 winning margin. This was harsh on a hard working and committed Pock performance who deserved something out of the game but manager Rich Bower will be hoping to get some of his injured players back on the field for the game away to Westella & Willerby Reserves on the 27th.