Title favourites take points against Pock

Humber Premier League - Premier Division

Sculcoates Amateurs5

Pocklington Town1

MARSHAL TYRES sponsored Pocklington took on defending league champions Sculcoates away last Saturday and, despite making a bright start, failed to match their hosts for effort and quality on the ball and found themselves out of the game inside the first half hour.

Looking to build on one defeat in the last four games, Town selected an attacking line-up and formation and pressed the home side back in the opening period.

A Stu Lawson free kick on two minutes picked out Chris Scott for Scullys to just clear the loose ball, although the home side replied with a free kick of their own that broke for a shot into the side netting.

A long throw by Chris Scott was defended for a corner and, when John Heads was fouled on the edge of the area, a Craig Hargreaves free kick was tipped over by the Scullys keeper.

The corner was partially cleared to Heads and his cross was headed over by Lawson at the far post, but Pock were unable to pick up the tempo as Scullys got on the game and started to control the midfield and press Town back.

The first goal came on 15 minutes when a simply-worked one-two flicked header from a throw in set up a shot from 15 yards into the top right corner.

Pock became the architects of their own downfall four minutes later when, again under pressure from the home side, a backpass to keeper Rob Kunkel took too long to be cleared and a Scullys forward blocked the kick to tap the ball into an empty net.

If that wasn’t bad enough, a needlessly conceded throw in on 23 minutes set up a cross for Sculcoates that was met by the head of former Town player Rudd to give the champions a 3-0 lead inside eight minutes and they were bossing the game as Pock had no answer to the questions that they were being asked. A pass from Tom Rogers to Heads set up a cross that Dan Boneham headed over as Pock mounted a rare attack, but they conceded a fourth on 41 minutes, despite having a corner of their own.

A long clearance by the Scullys defence caught Town two on two and, although Rob Gibson made a good tackle, the ball fell kindly to Leng to lash in from 18 yards and set the seal on an awful first 45 minutes for Pock.

A half-time reorganisation sent them out to repair some of the damage of the first half, with Scullys happy to sit on the counter and conserve their energy.

A shot on the turn by Hargreaves brought a good save by the home keeper on 52 minutes and a foul on Boneham allowed James Haigh to test the keeper with a save to his right from the direct free kick but, with Pock still struggling to impose themselves, Scullys failed to take the half chances that they created as Pock were forced to defend.

Both teams introduced subs to freshen things up, but Scullys made it five on 79 minutes when Rudd broke and let rip with a 30-yard shot that Kunkel could only parry, allowing the loose ball to be forced home from close range.

At least Pock kept going and managed to score a consolation on 85 minutes when they made the most of a break of their own from a Scullys corner. Ben Alport played in Boneham, who cut inside the full back and set up Heads for a well-struck volley from the edge of the area.

Despite this, Pock need to look at their level of performance and attitude before next week’s fixture away to North Cave.

Although Sculcoates showed why they are top of the league and favourites to retain their title, Pock made it easy for them with a lack of the desire and commitment required if success is to be achieved in the Humber League.

Players meet at the club at 12.30pm.