Pocklington Under-12s do the double, winning league and cup

editorial image

Pocklington Town.................5


Sinks-taps.com sponsored Pocklington faced another away tie this week with the final game of the season away to Heworth, needing a win to secure the League title.

Pocklington lined up with Mattie Warne, Elliot Driver, Ryan McCann, Tom Alston, Charlie Buckle at the back, with Harry Cooper, Will Jackson, Will Snook, Jamie Walker, in midfield, Kai Birch and Jack Creaser up front, Charlie Cahill, Tom Snowball and Josh Broadbent starting as subs.

Pocklington won the toss and got the game underway starting positively and dominating the play. Jackson and Cooper went close in the opening minutes. Heworth responded well but Buckle was alert at left back to cover.

Heworth continued to push forward and this time Driver was there, linking up with Warne in goal to see off the danger. Pocklington tried to push forward but Heworth dealt with the attack, pushing forward themselves before McCann got up bravely to win an important header and stop Heworth’s advances.

Pocklington gained composure as Cooper and Buckle linked up well on the left before crossing, Jackson’s effort only inches over. Pocklington, full of confidence after that attack, pushed forward again as Birch, Snook and Cooper linked up before finding Creaser in the middle, his shot into the top corner putting Pocklington 1-0 up.

Heworth responded, but Alston did well to break down the attack before Birch advanced down the left wing, his in swinging ball deceiving the keeper and into the net for 2-0.

Pocklington made substitutions, with Snowball and Broadbent quickly into action as they got involved in the build-up before Buckle flicked the ball onto Birch, who side footed past the stranded keeper to put Pocklington 3-0 in front. Heworth responded strongly as McCann and Buckle were tested in the centre of defence before Warne made a good save.

Walker created problems along the right wing as Pocklington stretched Heworth, forcing a corner. Buckle swung the ball in, finding the net to make it 4-0.

Heworth fought back with a long ball through the middle to make it 4-1 but Pocklington responded quickly as Cahill pushed forward along the left in support of Cooper, cutting the ball inside. Broadbent picked this up then found Snook who turned to pick his spot, making it 5-1 minutes before the final whistle.

This had been a great game with Pocklington dominant throughout, controlling the pace of the game playing some lovely football throughout.

A fantastic result that saw them clinch the League title.



Continued from back page

Pocklington had a good spell as Broadbent, Jackson and Buckle linked up well from the corner, forcing Heworth to scramble the ball off the line. Heworth responded, but Warne was out bravely to save at the forwards feet before Pocklington made changes.

Pocklington regrouped, winning the battle in midfield as Birch and Cooper pushed forward before Cooper crossed to find Broadbent who turned before picking his spot past the keeper to put Pocklington 1-0 up just before half time.

Heworth started the second half strongly and were soon back on level terms.

Heworth continued to pressure Driver across to block well before McCann cleared the loose ball. Snook pushed forward to find Cooper, who shot inches wide.

Heworth responded, but Cahill was there to deal with the danger before Warne was tested in the Pocklington goal.

Jackson and Snook started to make their presence felt as they opened up Heworth with some lovely balls as Ella used his pace to go past the defenders. Birch, battling well, was forced to leave the field after suffering a nasty gash to his neck following a brave challenge. Pocklington now dominated the game as Cooper, Broadbent, Ella and Creaser all went close before Snook shot narrowly over from six yards out.

Pocklington raised the pace of the game again as Buckle pushed forward flicking the ball on from the edge of the area to Creaser who hit the shot high into the roof of the net to restore Pocklington’s lead at 2-1. Pocklingon, not content to sit back,’ continued to push forward for another as Coopers shot clipped the outside of the post in the dying minutes.

This had been a closely-fought game and a typical Cup final with both sides giving their all. Pocklington’s team work really showed through as they pulled together across all positions, battling hard in the challenges when required but playing some lovely football when allowed too.

Another great win that saw Pocklington lift The FA Cup final only days after clinching the League title and still in with the possibility of another trophy as they face Poppleton in the League Cup final at Bootham Crescent on 21 May.

Well done to the full squad who have made this win possible, and big thanks to coaches Rob Walker and Ian Snook.