Pock lack quality

Humber Premier League - Premier Division

Pocklington Town............................................................1

Hornsea Town..................................................................2

After a 10-day break, Marshal Tyres sponsored Pocklington took on Hornsea Town at the Balk on Wednesday 21 March looking to push on from the defeat away to North Cave and, despite a performance full of effort and workrate, just lacked that bit of quality to turn chances into goals as they went down by the odd goal in three to a very handy Hornsea team.

A positive start from Pock saw them press the visitors back and a quality corner from James Haigh was wasted as no one attacked the delivery. A pass from Craig Hargreaves to Lee Drobac saw a chance blocked for another corner and, when that was cleared to the edge of the box, Hargreaves’ follow-up shot rebounded to safety off the bar as Pock pressed hard at a high tempo.

This brought a goal in the 13th minute when Drobac chased down an over-hit pass and forced the Hornsea keeper into a rushed left-footed clearance. The poor kick fell to John Heads and he made no mistake with an excellent finish from the edge of the area.

Hornsea upped their game and pressed Pock back, but with Chris Scott, Rob Gibson, Mark Watkinson and Kev Goodwin holding firm in defence, Pock were able to minimise the chances against them and a break on 15 minutes from Goodwin in the left back position set up Sam Taylor to cross to Hargreaves. A composed finish was ruled out by a marginal offside call and Pock came close again on 21 minutes when a free kick from Scott picked out Drobac. His shot on the turn was well-saved by the Hornsea keeper as Pock failed to find a second goal and the half ended with the visitors enjoying a spell on top.

Heads’ poor pass needed him to concede a foul on the edge of the area, the resulting free kick curling over the wall and bar as Pock were forced to defend for long periods. A rare counter from a tenacious tackle by Tom Rogers set up Heads and his pass set up Sam Taylor for a shot that just went past the far post. Another excellent corner from Haigh was flicked over his own bar by a defender under pressure, but a lapse in concentration right on half time saw Pock concede an equaliser. Hornsea were allowed to play a dinked ball into the Pock area and, when it landed in the six-yard box, no Pock player took responsibility and a Hornsea player reacted quickest to force the ball home.

Hornsea made the most of more hesitant defending on 54 minutes to go 2-1 ahead, a break catching Pock out with a superb piece of control from the Hornsea number nine setting up a shot that was well-parried by Rob Kunkel. But Hornsea again reacted quickest to the loose ball and forced it home at the far post to put them ahead. Kunkel had to make a great double save a couple of minutes later when Hornsea threatened to make the game safe, tipping over a follow-up shot, having made a vital block from the first attack.

Pock tried to get back in the game and Hargreaves could have done better when Heads set up a chance at the far post. He was unable to keep his attempted chip down and it cleared the bar for a major let off for the visitors. Although Pock were living dangerously as a Hornsea forward managed to clear the bar from five yards out when a corner got delivered into the six-yard box.

With Pock working hard to get into the game, Heads saw a goalbound shot blocked over the bar for a corner and, as the final minutes approached, a run from Heads picked out Drobac for a squared ball to pick out Hargreaves. Unfortunately, another chance went begging and, despite plenty of effort, Pock were unable to find the equaliser on a night when their efforts went unrewarded.