Last away match ends with honours even

Knaresborough Celtic 3

Stamford Bridge 3

Stamford Bridge, sponsored by Jorvik Construction, travelled to Knaresborough on Saturday for their final away league match of the season, against Knaresborough Celtic.

The match started in dramatic fashion with Celtic storming to a 2-0 lead within the first four minutes. The visitors then produced a remarkable fightback in the following six minutes to level the score. Two further first half goals saw the result finish three all.

This was the first competitive match for Stamford Bridge in three weeks and they were caught cold in the first four minutes with two well-taken goals by Knaresborough. But typical of the Stamford Bridge fighting spirit, they fought back immediately.

In the sixth minute, an excellent corner on the right was powered home at the far post by Ellie Fitzmaurice. Two minutes later they had levelled the score.

An enormous kick from hands from the Stamford Bridge keeper caused confusion in the Knaresborough defence and player of the match Ellie Parkin was on hand to score.

The hosts immediately hit back and the Stamford keeper Georgia Stanton had to make a terrific save to force the ball out for a corner.

Celtic were back in front in the 22nd minute when the ball was forced over the line from a corner. Back came the visitors, with midfielder Emma Nelson causing problems with a fierce cross from the left which evaded everybody.

Stamford Bridge equalised with the last move of the first half. A great cross from the right from Ellie Whytock was met perfectly by Alex Harvey and her shot rifled into the corner of the net to make the score 3-3.

Stamford Bridge continued to pile on the pressure at the start of the second half. Poppy Clancey went on a run up the left and was unfortunate to see her shot well saved by the keeper.

Minutes later they were again thwarted after another great run from defender Alice Ella forced a corner.

In the 50th minute they went very close to taking the lead when captain Olivia Cant found striker Jess Wills in space. Her well-placed shot was agonisingly inches wide of the post.

With the final seconds of the match ticking away, the visitors nearly won the game. A hopeful ball over the top of the Knaresborough defence found Kirsten Wright but her valiant effort was well saved by the Celtic keeper.