Five wins in a row for Pock Town against Scarborough

Pocklington Town................5

Scraborough Athletic Res....1

Marshal Tyres sponsored Pocklington’s Humber team were in league action on Wednesday 19 March and made it five wins in a row at home to Scarborough Athletic Reserves with an excellent performance against a useful side.

With Pock starting to get a settled side and formation, they made a good start and, on four minutes, George Alport exchanged a one-two on the edge of the Athletic area and played in a cross that Tom Reay couldn’t quite bring down.

With both teams playing a fast attacking game it was an open game to watch with play switching from end to end and, on six minutes, a well-worked Athletic move saw them create space on the edge of the Pock area for a shot on the turn that rebounded to safety off the foot of the Town post. Pock were next to threaten when a James Haigh throw put in Reay again and his shot had to be gathered at the second attempt by the keeper. Athletic replied by picking up a loose Pock pass and firing off a shot that went narrowly wide of the far post.

Town keeper Adam Thomas was called into action on 14 minutes when he had to make a diving save for a corner, but Pock started to exploit the Scarborough defence’s lack of pace at the back and, with Martyn Day, Haigh and Reay all able to make breaks behind the line, Pock saw several crosses just fail to find a man in the area.

Alport fired a far post shot wide from a tight angle while another Scarborough effort drifted narrowly wide but, right on half time, Pock made the breakthrough.

A one-two exchange on the halfway line between Haigh and Day put Pock’s speedy forward clear on goal and he outpaced the Scarborough defence before finishing calmly into the far corner to put Town 1-0 up at the break.

Scarborough came out fired up at the start of the second half and picked up a couple of yellows as they took their challenges too far, but Pock carried on playing their passes and doubled their lead on 51 minutes when a Haigh free kick was nodded down in the area for Reay to fire home from close range. Scarborough upped their game and put Town under some pressure. This paid off when they pulled a goal back on 64 minutes when they beat Pock’s defensive line and Thomas’ effort to block the shot.

Town gave themselves some breathing space and restored their two-goal advantage four minutes later when a long clearance from Thomas was allowed to bounce by the Scarborough defence and Reay made the most of the hesitation by nipping in and bagging his second.

Pock put daylight between them and Athletic on 73 minutes when a Haigh throw in was picked up by Tom Rogers who turned inside and fired off an unstoppable volley to make it 4-1 and, with Pock rampant, they made it 5-1 straight from the Athletic kick off when Greg Nesbitt won the ball and played Day in behind the Athletic defence again.

Day beat the right back and calmly bagged his second with a cool finish to seal the result and, although Scarborough enjoyed some late pressure, solid Pock defending prevented any further scares, with Martyn Day winning the man of the match award for an excellent performance, leading from the front and being a threat to the visitors all night.

Town had last Saturday off but this weekend travel to Filey to play the return league game against Scarborough. With the Athletic manager clearly heard reading the riot act to his players after this defeat, and their 5-1 win last weekend, Pock will need to be on their game again to ensure that they bag another three points.

Players meet at the club at 12pm, please.