Concentration lapse costs Pock Town

Humber Premier League - Premier Division

Hessle Rangers..................................................................2

Pocklington Town.............................................................1

MARSHAL TYRES sponsored Pocklington wasted the chance to move ahead of their opponents with mistakes at both ends proving costly in their attempt to get up the table.

On a surface almost more suited to sunbathing than playing football, Pocklington were much the better team on the day, although Hessle made the better start with their direct style of play, testing Pock with several long throws and diagonal crossfield passes.

A good break from Pock on 12 minutes saw James Haigh set up John Heads. His attempted through ball just eluded Craig Hargreaves’ run into the area, while Hargreaves tested the keeper with a shot five minutes later when set up by Martyn Day.

This set the tone for the half, with Pock playing the better football but Hessle looking more dangerous in the final third. Town missed a couple of chances set up by passing moves that opened up the Hessle defence but a Rangers corner on 25 minutes caused problems in the Town defence, but was fortunately cleared off the line by a Hessle player from his own teammate’s shot.

A Hessle free kick from the edge of the area dipped over the wall and needed a fine save by Rob Kunkel on to the post for a corner to prevent Hessle from taking the lead. Town replied with a Mark Watkinson pass to Day that picked out Hargreaves’ run into the area, Hessle blocking the shot for a corner as Town finished the first half well.

The Hessle keeper dropped two excellently-delivered Haigh corners but no one could get on the loose balls, while Day set up Haigh for a great chance that could only be fired the wrong side of the post. Town’s final chance of the half came on 44 minutes when more good approach play from Heads set up Day for another shot blocked wide.

Pock wasted all their work in the first half, two minutes into the second, when they failed to defend a Hessle free kick. A missed header, lack of defensive cover and an unlucky rebound from a block by Kunkel allowed a scrappy goal to put the home side ahead and Hessle rocked Town again three minutes after that when they made the most of a counter attack.

A cutback inside Watkinson set up a well-struck finish across and into the far corner for a two-goal cushion, but Pock lifted their performance and pulled a goal back within two minutes.

Stuart Lawson made a great tackle 30 yards out and the loose ball was seized on by Hargreaves. His intelligent chip into the area picked out Day’s run and the lob beat the outcoming Hessle keeper.

A minute later, Day turned provider with a chip on to Heads’ run but, this time, the Hessle keeper managed to get his hand on the lob and the ball was cleared off the line by a covering defender.

The game opened out as both teams went for the next goal, Kunkel having to be alert to parry a cross shot wide from a well-struck crossfield pass while Hessle’s defence had to dig deep to prevent Pock pressure from grabbing an equaliser. A Hargreaves cross to the far post was met by a well-struck volley from Day but he was unable to keep his effort down as it just cleared the bar and, despite a fully-committed Pock effort, more goals failed to come.

Based on chances and the quality of their football, this was not a game Pock should have lost, but it shows how costly a lack of concentration can prove.