Commanding performance to end season with a victory

Scarborough Athletic 

Pocklington Town................2

After the midweek disappointment of the cup semi-final loss, Marshal Tyres sponsored Pocklington’s Humber team played their final game of the season with a trip to Filey to take on Scarborough Athletic Reserves.

On a sunny but windswept day they finished their 34-game season with a win that took them above their hosts and up to ninth with an, at times, commanding performance that should have resulted in a bigger winning margin.

Pock almost made a disastrous start when, in the second minute, Mark Watkinson played a crossfield pass that was misjudged by his teammates in the breeze, allowing Scarborough to attack. Keeper Craig Coxall came out to narrow the angle and the effort on goal was cleared by Watkinson as he atoned for his errant pass.

After this early let off, Pock really hit their stride. A right wing cross from Alex Cutts was punched to safety by the Athletic keeper with Martyn Day lofting the follow up shot wide and, on seven minutes, a Pock attack set up Dan Boneham for a shot that rebounded off the bar, with Craig Hargreaves’ follow up effort saved.

With Town using the wind at their backs to their advantage, their pressure told on 10 minutes when a left wing cross from Tom Rogers picked out Boneham’s run across the keeper and, with the Athletic goalie put off, he could only parry the ball into the path of Cutts who had made a 50-yard run from right back to poke home from six yards out.

Pock doubled their lead on 15 minutes when a foul on Aziz Barakat set up James Haigh for a 30-yard free kick and, although Haigh struck the shot well, it wasn’t the keeper’s finest hour as he managed to let the long-range effort beat him at his far post.

Pock almost scored a third when, after beginning the move with a roll out from their keeper, they played some lovely passing through their opponents and set up Boneham for a cross to the far post.

Rogers had made a great run but was unable to keep the ball down as he fired over the bar but Town were guilty of taking their foot off the gas and allowed Scarborough back into the game on 21 minutes.

As they stood off the home side, a series of one-two passes opened up the Pock defence but there were still chances to clear before the final effort on goal was fired home, despite Haigh’s effort to clear off the line. Despite both sides’ hard work, neither was able to add to the score before the interval and this left Pock playing into the wind with a 2-1 lead for the second half.

Scarborough initially pressed them back and, after their No. 9 had got away from three Town defenders, Coxall showed good handling to save the 15-yard shot to prevent the home side equalising. A minute later, a goalmouth scramble needed Coxall to make a point-blank block for a corner at his far post. But, despite these early scares, Town started to get into their game and Athletic found it hard to penetrate a resolute defence.

It was Pock who looked the likelier to score with Boneham and Day a threat on the counter attack, and with Scarborough getting frustrated, this led to an awful challenge on Barakat that quite rightly resulted in a red card for the Athletic player with 10 minutes to go. A cross from Hargreaves was flicked on by Boneham only to drift just wide of the far post.

But, with neither side able to overcome the conditions and bobbly pitch, the game finished with a 2-1 win to Pock to end the season on a bit of a high.