Bridge win derby final

Stamford Bridge
Stamford Bridge

East Riding Qualifying Cup Final

Stamford Bridge3

Barmby Moor2

The final of the East Riding Qualifying Cup was a local derby between Stamford Bridge and Barmby Moor, played at Pocklington on Tuesday evening.

Both teams were well supported on the night and an entertaining game developed following a cagey opening. Barmby, in their role as underdogs, had early difficulties coping with Stamford’s aerial threat from set-pieces and, although chances were few and far between, Barmby’s back four of Hall, Palfreyman, Travers and Downey, backed by Suggitt in goal, were equal to the challenge.

On the half hour, Booth broke clear on the left, delivered an inch-perfect ball to Barker who turned his marker and beat the keeper with a low shot, clipping the post before entering the net. Stamford thought they had drawn level minutes later but the linesman spotted the ball being handled on its way into the net and Barmby held the lead at the interval.

Stamford lost centre forward Myron Turbine to an eye injury, but the re-shuffling of the side paid immediate dividends when 18-year-old James Hunt struck a ball from distance into the top corner of the net. This gave them confidence, and they pressed forward, again forcing corners, until Hunt found Nick Rank unmarked in the area, whose shot gave the Low Catton Road side the lead for the first time.

Despite Stamford Bridge losing centre half Harry Bryan to injury, the York Minster Engineering division two team, sponsored by The Sizzling Plate Restaurant, continued to attack and were rewarded when Paul Crangle scored with a delightful chip from a tight angle.

Barmby’s response was almost immediate as Webster, who had only just replaced Mounser as a substitute, drew out the keeper before sliding the ball past him to set up an interesting finish and keep both sets of supporters guessing until the final whistle.

Stamford hung on to win their first trophy in 10 years, but Barmby Moor should also feel proud of the part they played in an open and entertaining game of football.