Cricket: Melbourne Cricket Club reports

With the sun shining down, Melbourne were put into bat by Acomb in the first round of the Scothern Cup.

With some tight bowling from Acomb, Tim Blackmore and Liam Barlow got off to a steady start adding 35 before Barlow (18) was bowled by Preston in the 10th over. Oliver Steels and Blackmore nudged the board further before Blackmore (16) was out lbw off the bowling of Harris (2-19) in the 15th over.

Melbourne captain Harry Collins joined Steels and the two continued to find the runs in the next 10 overs and had the board reading 77 when Steels (16) was caught by Littlewood off the bowling of Harris. With the board on 100, two wickets fell in the 32nd over when Malcolm Harrison and Matt Beevers (15) both fell to run outs. Collins who was batting well continued to find the loose ball from Acomb and was well-supported by Ben Thompson with the two adding 55 to the board before the final ball of the innings which saw Collins, after making a maiden half-century, fall for 52 when he was caught by Littlewood off the bowling of Rawle. Thompson made a good 18 not out. Melbourne finished the 40 overs on 155-6.

In reply, Acomb lost the early wicket of Williamson when he was caught by Barlow off the bowling in the fifth over with the board on 10. D Littlewood and Lennox added a further 31 before Lennox (21) was caught by Melbourne keeper Matt Beevers in the 12th over off the bowling of Jamie Kirby. Although D Littlewood was batting well, the other Acomb batsmen were unable to stick around to support him and wickets continued to fall with Burton run out, F Littlewood out lbw to Collins, Willis caught by Collins (2-10) off the bowling of Harrison, Sanderson caught by Thompson off the bowling of Harrison, Woodworth was bowled by Collins and Rawle was bowled by Harrison (3-22).

With Underwood (2-15) returning to bowl in the 29th over, Preston was dismissed for nought. After making a good 39, D Littlewood was dismissed in the 32nd over when he fell to a catch by Liam Barlow off the bowling of Jamie Kirby (2-22). Harris finished on three not out to bring the Acomb innings to an end on 85 all out.

Many thanks to the match ball sponsor Chas Cox, Stockfeed Merchant and the club sponsor The White Swan at Bubwith.

Melbourne 155-6

Acomb 85

With both teams joint top of the league, The Retreat lost early wickets when N Shefta was caught by Jamie Kirby off the bowling of Brian Underwood (2-25) in the second over and Yogarth was run out in the fourth over. With the board on 45 after 10 overs, Uhranga was caught by AJ Clarke off the bowling of Natty Burge and K Shefta as bowled by Clarke in the next over. Naseem Shefta joined Syeed and the two added a further 68 before Shefta was bowled by Underwood. Harry Collins’ final over of his spell saw Syeed caught and bowled after being Retreat’s mainstay making 104 - a score that could have been much reduced had Melbourne held catches. Ali Byers made one before being run out, The Retreat finishing on 128-7.

In reply for Melbourne, AJ Clarke and Alex Barlow made a good start, adding 47 to the board before Barlow (17) was caught off the bowling of N Shefta in the ninth over. With Underwood and Clarke batting well, a further 45 was added before Clarke, after making an excellent 63, was caught by the Retreat wicketkeeper off the bowling of Syeed. Underwood made 10 before being run out and Oliver Steels had also made 10 when caught by keeper Shefta off the bowling of Mosley. With the board on 107-4, Melbourne’s captain Harry Collins and Sam Shipley soon knocked off the required runs, Collins finishing on 18 not out and Shipley unbeaten on six, to bring Melbourne a well-deserved victory to see them clear at the top.

Many thanks to the match ball sponsor - Northern Crop Driers.

The Retreat 128-7

Melbourne 129-4