Pocklington’s annual talent show has been cancelled just days before it was due to take place because a lack of residents entered the competition.
The Pocklington’s Got Talent contest, which was expected to raise hundreds of pounds for charity, was set to be held on Monday (27 April) at Pocklington Arts Centre.
However, the town council, which organises the event, decided the show could not go ahead after only seven acts entered the competition and because of low tickets sales. The council hoped for at least 12 acts. The deadline to enter was Tuesday (21 April).
James Duffy, assistant manager at the Arts Centre, said: “It is very disappointing it has been cancelled. It has always been very popular over the last few years.
“Several people pulled out due to illness and exam revision.
“It doesn’t mean we won’t hold it again. The council are looking at plans to make it a biannual event or hold it at a different time of year.”
Mr Duffy says everyone who bought tickets to watch the event has been contacted and offered a refund.
The competition would have raised money for the Mayor of Pocklington, councillor Paul West’s two chosen charities - Young People Count and the Friends of Pocklington Arts Centre. Last year it raised almost £800 for charity.
Coun West said: “We will have a year off and come back next year and hopefully we might be able to regain people’s interests.
“It is disappointing we can’t raise money for my chosen charities. But we have raised a lot of money from other events, so it should be a decent total.”
The first Pocklington’s Got Talent show was first held in 2011, and has taken place every year since then.