Shop worker throttled ex-wife

A CHEATING Co-op supermarket manager throttled his wife after accusing her of putting star ratings next to pictures of British soldiers she had on her mobile telephone.

Saturday, 24th September 2011, 7:00 am

Thomas Mainwaring, 49, met another woman after 31 years of marriage when his job took over and he started working away.

His wife found out and asked him to leave. Their split was amicable until he found out she was seeing a soldier, Hull Crown Court heard on Friday, 16 September.

Mr Mainwaring of High Street, Thornton, was in charge at the Co-op Pickering store in 2008 but began a new post last year and had formed a new relationship with a woman, putting his marriage in difficulty.

By March this year his wife had met a new man and Mr Mainwaring became jealous, begging her to forgive him before becoming erratic after signing divorce papers. Deborah Mainwaring had become worried about her former partner, even going to the extent of calling the Samaritans.

But the father-of-two finally snapped when he arrived at Deborah Mainwaring’s bungalow in Willerby on 5 May at 1am. He had argued with his new partner and had been drinking. When interviewed by police he admitted he was angry and jealous.

“He was upset and saying he wanted to get back together,” said Crown barrister David Gordon.

“Mrs Mainwaring made him a drink and they talked before she went to bed. He tucked her in. The next thing she remembers was Mr Mainwaring’s face right up to hers. He was on top of her in bed. He was angry. He was asking her about pictures of men on her mobile telephone.”

He said she told him they were part of a project to send Red Cross shoe box parcels to servicemen overseas and they replied with thanks.

Mr Gordon said Deborah Mainwaring had tried to calm her husband after he picked up her medication telling her he was going to hurt himself. She took the medication for a serious neck problem and hid it in the wardrobe before going back to bed only to be woken by a sudden thud.

“Mr Mainwaring had taken a large quantity of her medication and was vomiting on the floor,” said Mr Gordon. She helped him clean it up before he again became angry over the pictures of men on her mobile accusing her of giving them star ratings,

“He clasped the lapels of her dressing gown around her neck, causing breathing difficulties and strangling her for a short period,” said Mr Gordon. “She started to scream.

He placed his hand across her lips. She could taste blood in her mouth. She was shouting at him.”

She had suffered bruising to her nose, back, breast, left-upper arm and her ribs were sore.

When her daughter arrived the next morning she found her parents distraught. Mr Mainwaring was telling her he had hurt her mum. Mrs Mainwaring was sobbing in her bedroom and, at one stage, appeared to stop breathing. Mr Mainwaring had to give her mouth-to-mouth resuscitation.

Mr Gordon said Mrs Mainwaring was outside court and had told police: “She could not believe what had happened. She said she did not want him near her. She wanted him punished, but did not want to send him to prison.”

Mr Mainwaring pleaded guilty to a single charge of assault causing actual bodily harm.

Judge Simon Jack ordered Mainwaring to stand as he told him: “This was a very serious offence of assault. Your long-term relationship with your wife broke down when you started a new relationship.

“Yet when she wanted to contact another man you could not take it. That gave rise to this very nasty incident. She was on medication and vulnerable and you partially strangled her leaving her with injuries. It must have been extremely frightening for her.”

He said he had accepted he had never been in trouble before, it was out of character and he was well-respected as member of the community.

He ordered Mainwaring should be given a 34-week suspended prison sentence and complete 150 hours unpaid work in the community.

He told Mainwaring he could walk free but not before adding: “It is important for you to accept that her life is hers to live, and you have no future say in it. I make it clear if there is any trouble you will be sent to prison.” He also ordered him to pay £800 towards the £1,200 prosecution costs.