Family attend cricket venue name unveiling
Woodhouse Grange Cricket Club marked a notable landmark on Sunday when the club’s founder was commemorated by the naming of its facilities ‘The Tommy Hobson Cricket Ground’.
Three generations of the founder’s family were on hand for the occasion.
Farmer Tommy Hobson had been one of the county’s leading pre-war league cricketers when he took over Woodhouse Grange farm in 1942.
He straightaway set about creating a cricket ground for his substantial workforce in one of his fields at the side of the road outside Sutton-on-Derwent. His farm labourers’ impromptu cricket team quickly took off, joining the York Senior League with Tommy turning back the clock to captain Woodhouse Grange CC to the first two of their 15 league championship titles in 1955 and 1956.
Retiring from playing, he remained the club’s driving force for many years as Woodhouse became one of the area’s leading outfits, with his family; who still farm the fields around the club, following in his footsteps as players and administrators.
Unveiling the club’s new nameboards on either side of the entrance were Tommy’s son, Richard, grandson, Nick, and great grandson, Henry. Richard, now aged 93, took over from his father as both opening bat and president, and is now the club’s life president, handing on the mantle of club president to son Nick; while his son, Henry, is the latest member of the family to come through Woodhouse’s junior section, currently playing for the academy side.
The club might have been upholding its proud traditions, but it was hardly a typical cricket day. In the background Woodhouse Grange 1st XI was in action in a friendly fixture against Yorkshire Academy.
However, the players donned woolly hats and dodged sleet and snow showers, while spectators were absent, banned by Covid restrictions.
Nevertheless, the family bubble of Hobsons was able to pop down to The Tommy Hobson Cricket Ground to ensure the occasion was properly observed.