Council committee rejects plans for 14 lodges at Melbourne site

Plans for a holiday park in Melbourne have been rejected after councillors heard it would be built near a conservation area.

Tuesday, 9th March 2021, 11:10 am
The site off Main Street, Melbourne, where the 14 lodges were planned.

East Riding Council’s Western Area Planning Sub-Committee heard 14 lodges were planned for the park, off Main Street, next to Melbourne Community Primary School.

Samuel Stonehouse, who spoke on behalf of applicant Michelle Clarke, told the committee the number of lodges had been cut from 17 following talks with council officers.

Mr Stonehouse said: “These plans will provide economic benefits to the area by supporting local shops and pubs and by creating new jobs.”

He added the park would redirect guests away from walking routes in a protected nature conservation area next to the site.

But Erica Rowell, one of 89 objectors to the plans, said the “ticky tacky boxes” proposed for the park would not be in keeping with the village.

She added it would threaten local heritage and natural assets of national and international importance.

Councillors also heard Natural England had stated the park could have a “significant” impact on the nearby Pocklington Canal, designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest.

Cllr Leo Hammond, ward member for Wolds Weighton, said the development would not fit in the village “in any way”.

The councillor said: “Melbourne is a wonderful village with heritage assets of great value.

“This park would damage the conservation area and those assets and would have an impact on the Pocklington Canal.”

Committee member Cllr David Rudd added that the plans amounted to putting caravans “in the middle of a village”.

Cll Rudd said: “We’ve got two properties on either side of the entrance to this, it won’t enhance the area and would not be acceptable in this area.”

Cllr Ros Jump said the plans were “dead in the water” and should not be approved.