St Catherine’s Church Barmby has received initial support from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) for the repair of the historic church.
The project aims to address serious deterioration to the roof and walls of this important Grade II listed church.
Development funding of £16, 600 has also been awarded to help the Parochial Church Council progress its plans to apply for a full grant of £183,300 at a later date.
An architect has been appointed to help progress the development work required before a second round application is submitted.
Thanks to National Lottery players the project will also conserve important wall paintings currently damaged by the water ingress, and create children’s activity packs along with a written history of the church and the historic links with Royal Air Force 102 Squadron.
To help inform the activity work that will take place a launch event will be held on June 30, in St Catherine’s Church at 7.30pm. You will hear of the progress made, ask questions and find out what is happen next, while enjoying a glass of wine/juice and cheese and biscuits.
Fiona Spiers, Head of Heritage Lottery Fund, Yorkshire and the Humber said: “This award to St Catherine’s Church, Barmby Moor will ensure essential repairs are carried out, and the local school and community are able to get involved and learn about the stories and heritage of the building, helping to create a sustainable future for the church.”
During the Second World War 102 Squadron, forming part of Bomber Command, were housed at Pocklington Airfield, which bordered the village of Barmby Moor.
The memorials of many of the men killed from 102 Squadron are situated at the church. The Grade II listed building is a focal point for the local community and is well used by the community and local groups.
The church is built on an ancient site, although only the tower and spire are medieval.
The rest was rebuilt in 1850-52 by Robert Dennis Chantrell. Within the church are two windows which are fine examples of the work of Charles Bewsey, the distinguished stained glass artist, dating from 1936. The east wall has mural paintings by John Ward Knowles of York.