‘Goodbye fatty’ comment led to takeaway row

Lee Mainprize near Hull Crown Court.
Lee Mainprize near Hull Crown Court.

A villager from near Pocklington claimed he was punched in street violence outside a takeaway where a man was left with a broken arm and a woman with a broken finger.

Lee Mainprize, 40, insisted he acted in self defence but admitted taking part in an ugly scene when both the man and the woman were injured outside Speedy Peppers Takeaway, on the Promenade, in Bridlington.

Mainprize, of Green Lane, East Cottingwith, pleaded guilty to a charge of affray after initially electing a trial denying two charges of assault at Hull Crown Court on Monday (7 September).

Crown barrister Claire Holmes said the violence flared after Mr Mainprize was accused of saying “goodbye fatty” to women who were waiting to have food cooked.

She said initially a woman took it as a reference to her sister and went to make verbal comments. A piece of pizza was thrown at Mainprize who picked it up and threw it back.

He claimed as he took to leave he was followed and set upon first by a woman who punched him and then by a third party. He admitted grabbing both and pushing them to the ground in self defence.

Mrs Holmes said the Crown did not accept his version of events. She said the women insisted they were going outside to tell their taxi they would be late. She also said the takeaway manager’s account was not consistent with his.

However, defence barrister Chris Dunn said the actions of the women inside the takeaway were caught on CCTV. He said it showed they were the aggressive and verbal inside.

He said he would invite any potential jury to conclude if the women’s accounts could not be believed inside the takeaway then they could not be trusted in their accounts of what happened outside.

Judge Jeremy Richardson, QC, said from his view of the CCTV the women were incensed by the way Mr Mainprize waved goodbye. “No one comes out of this looking roseate in character,” the judge said.

Mainprize was given 200-hours unpaid work and ordered to pay a £60 victim’s surcharge.