Cricket bat used in brutal attack

Lloyd Hunter
Lloyd Hunter
Share this article

A NIGHTCLUB doorman has been jailed for carrying out a chilling hit-man attack on a taxi driver which left him with brain injuries.

Lloyd Hunter, 30, hit David Glew with a cricket bat after he opened his gate to put his wheelie bin out in Lower Catton Road, Stamford Bridge.

Mr Glew had been in dispute with a neighbour over a parking problem and threats were made to kill him before the attack.

Hunter struck him so hard the cricket bat broke and he then began to kick him on the floor.

The attack only stopped when Mrs Rachel Glew ran out to protect her husband who suffered brain injuries and spent 12 days in hospital.

Jailing Hunter on Monday at Hull Crown Court, Judge Jeremy Baker, QC, said: “It was suggested this was a long-running dispute in the neighbourhood over parking.

“If this was the reason, one cannot even begin to understand why anyone would resort to that form of retribution.

“It seems that was the reason for that attack. You have a history and reputation as a doorman who can fix situations.

“Whether or not money changed hands for that purpose I leave for others. What is clear is Mr and Mrs Glew are hard-working, respectable people whose lives have been devastated by this.”

The court heard the initial injuries were thought to be to soft tissue, but when Mr Glew returned home, his condition deteriorated after the attack at 8am on August 25 2010.

He was re-admitted to hospital and found to have brain bleeding.

He lost four months from work and is now so frightened the family plan to move from the village where he has lived since being a young man.

Lloyd Hunter, of Leeds, recruited security firm boss Mark Guy, 25, of Wetherby, to drive to Mr Glew’s home.

Guy also acted as the getaway driver.

They were both caught in Pocklington after the attack. Hunter went on the run while on bail and fled to Cyprus where he was extradited by the police.

Meanwhile Guy was jailed for seven years for conspiracy to commit grievous bodily harm. Hunter admitted the same charge.

The court heard he had a string of previous convictions including battery and robbery.

Defence barrister Glen Parsons said: “He now wished publicly to express his remorse for this offence

“He will be spending a considerable amount of time in custody for what he did that day.”

He urged the judge not to class him as a dangerous offender and said he was now mentoring prisoners.

Judge Baker said: “There was a high degree of culpability. What makes it more serious is the attack took place in front of his wife in the garden of his own home.”

He jailed Hunter for nine years as Mr Glew looked on from the public gallery.

Mr Glew declined to comment after the hearing saying but Humberside police Detective Constable Nicola Ball said: “This unprovoked assault on Mr Glew has turned his life and that of his family upside down.

“They are all still deeply affected by the actions of Hunter and Guy, and will be for a very long time.

“I would like to thank them for their courage and patience throughout the investigation and the court case, which has been particularly lengthy due to Hunter evading police custody and fleeing to Cyprus.

“I am pleased with the sentence Hunter has received and hope that the family can now begin to move on and re-build their lives.”