Column - Wolds Diary with Sue Woodcock

Following a trip to York to deliver a poster for our forthcoming concert on the 25th of this month, I realised I probably needed to get something from a chemist to make me feel less ill, so I sought the advice of a pharmacist who firmly suggested I might benefit from a visit to my GP.

I finally admitted to myself that he was probably right and went onto our surgery here in Pocklington.

A nurse practitioner tested various things, checked others and informed me that I had a virus and the only thing I could really do was to wait.

She did, however, tell me that I needed to slow down for as long as it took to feel better and had I done so earlier it might well have meant I was up and healthy some time ago.

It would be stupid to ignore such advice and I have tried to be a little less active and have taken the dogs for minimum walks and become a little more sedate for the time being.

I have driven round a bit, and the journeys have been a true delight. There are cascades of dog roses streaming down hedges, the cow parsley is out, elderflower is in bloom, and the wild flowers are in profusion everywhere I look.

One of the walks I and the dogs enjoy is an area of woodland, seldom visited, because it is out of the way and rather secluded.

While the dogs were having a delightful romp in the bracken this week, in the much appreciated shade, I noticed movement in the undergrowth which upon investigation proved to be a huge bumble bee that was trying to escape a tangle of dried grasses.

I managed to free it and before if flew off I got a chance to see just how wonderful it was, and just how huge it was too.

I have never seen one so large, it flew off happy, leaving me to wonder how something so heavy and cumbersome manages to fly at all. Nature is truly wonderful.

On Wednesday I set off quite early to drive up to Thirsk and to escape the early morning traffic jam into York. It is always pleasant to head over to the Dales and Thirsk is a fine town, I have always found the people there most friendly.

When I got there, well before the time needed, I parked in the main square to have a look round. I was most impressed when I looked at the many items of street furniture to find they were covered with imaginative, well-crafted and delightful dressings mainly knitted or crocheted, that cheered the whole town up.

I went round several streets and these wonderful creations were everywhere. I was amused, fascinated and pleased with what was on display. Somehow the thought of providing a seat with knitted feet rather appealed to me.

I asked some ladies about it and understand it was done originally for the Tour de Yorkshire, and unfortunately some items had been stolen but hours of dedicated work had resulted in truly splendid efforts.

I gave a talk to a large group of charming gentlemen of the Probus club and then headed off home to walk the dogs, do housework and have a rest before heading off in the evening to the thriving village of Wheldrake, south of York to talk to the WI at the White Rose House there, which I understand is owned by the Girl Guide movement.

I was impressed with what a good facility this was, and with how clean and inviting it was. The WI group were lovely, laughed in all the right places, and I was even invited to return.

It was still light when I got home. The weather had been hot and summery and I have been watering my vegetable patch daily. My runner beans and broad beans are growing like mad.

Then the weather changed and it bucketed down. The gardens, having been very dry for days, were looking a lot fresher for it. It just means I have to mow the lawns again.

I have been invited to the York Male Philharmonic Choir concert at All Saints Pocklington today.

They are a great choir and I am very flattered to be asked to help at the end of the concert which is being held in support of the Parkinson’s Society.