cigarette caused fatal fire

editorial image

THE fire which killed a mother-of-two at her home was caused by a carelessly discarded cigarette, an inquest into her death heard.

Patricia Wray, 47, died on 27 December last year at her house on Edward Street in Pocklington.

Two fire crews rushed to the house shortly after 9.30pm that day but were unable to save Mrs Wray.

The inquest at Hull Coroner’s Court heard that the fire was almost out before firefighters attended the scene.

Fire investigator Steve Henry determined the cause of the fire.

He said: “I conclude that a carelessly discarded cigarette was the most likely cause of the fire.

“It went through a smouldering stage before it caught fire.

“I believe the fire had started several hours earlier.”

Mr Henry found the property had a fire alarm fitted but there were no batteries inside when he conducted his investigation.

He said: “There was an alarm fitted in an ideal situation at the top of the stairs. At the time of the investigation no batteries were in place.”

Mrs Wray, who had a history of smoking and drinking, was at the house on her own when the fire started in the lounge of the property.

When investigators searched the premises, many cigarette stubs were found in an ash tray in the lounge.

A number of empty bottles of wine were

– story continues on page 3