A Bridlington mum has spoken of her horror after she escaped the worst terrorist attack on Britons since the 2005 London bombings.
Although she says she feels “lucky to be alive,” Diane Brown, a 49-year-old mother of four is only now coming to terms with the Tunisia attack two weeks ago.
She said: “It was awful and obviously you just picture it in your mind all the time.
“When you watch it on the news now, I think I was on that beach.”
On the morning of Friday 26 June Diane had been enjoying a dip in the sea before Tunisian gunman, Seifeddine Yacoubi, opened fire on holidaymakers.
“I got out and I was walking up to the bar area and as I was walking along a wooden jetty. I heard the shot and thought that it was a firework.
“Then I thought, that’s a gun.
“I ran up to the bar area and said to my partner he’s shooting! He’s shooting! I saw all these people running. Everything was flying through my mind, like my children. I didn’t know what was going to happen.”
As soon as the reality of what was unfolding hit home, staff at the hotel began rushing guests into their rooms.
Diane added: “The hotel staff were fantastic. The bloke at the bar area was helping us and getting us away towards our hotel room.
“Everyone was in turmoil. The security didn’t know where they were coming from. [The security] were absolutely everywhere. They were fantastic.
“I locked myself in the toilet and was ringing my son, Danny. He runs a business so I knew he would answer the phone.
“He just rang the embassy to find out what was going on. I just didn’t know what to do. I wanted him to know I was safe. We didn’t know where he [the gunman] was. I thought I’m never going to see him again.
“The rep said he could be in the hotel. The thought of ‘what if he was in the hotel’... I think to myself I’m so lucky. So, so lucky.”
Diane and her partner had been due to fly back on Sunday but boarded an early flight the day following the attack.
She continued: “They got planes out straight away and I can’t thank them enough. We had 15 minutes to pack on the Friday.”
The Bridlington couple were interviewed by officers from Scotland Yard on their arrival back to the UK.
They are awaiting a second interview at their home in the coming weeks.