Blaze hero: “It was spur of the moment”

wicstun way
wicstun way
Share this article

A MAN described as a “hero” by a neighbour after tackling a fire at her home said his act was a “spur of the moment thing”.

Carl Frost, 29, of Wicstun Way in Market Weighton, put out the fire in the kitchen of Kirsty Jenkins-Foster’s home using a baby grow and a bath towel soaked in water.

Speaking to the Post last week, Mrs Jenkins-Foster thanked Mr Frost for his bravery and for saving her home.

Mr Frost, who lives across from Mrs Jenkins-Foster, said he did not think before going into the house and putting out the blaze.

He said: “It was a bit silly to go into the house with a fire. It was a spur of the moment thing. There was no thought I just did my bit.

“It was a bit of a heroic thing I suppose.”

The incident happened on the evening of Saturday, 15 January.

Mr Frost said he was laid on the sofa in his living room when there was a bang at the door.

A frightened Mrs Jenkins-Foster, whose husband was at work, stood at the door with her three children and told him her house was on fire.

While Mr Frost’s partner looked after the children he and Mrs Jenkins-Foster went to the house to try and put out the fire, which was caused by a baby bag that was on top of the cooker that set alight.

Mr Frost said: “I just went at my own accord.

“It was fairly bad from what I saw. So I went across.

“There was a lot of smoke. It was a really horrible smelling smoke.

“It was scary enough for a young woman on her own.”

Mr Frost said he first threw a soaking wet baby grow onto the fire and then a bath towel soaked in water that Mrs Jenkins-Foster passed to him.

Two fire engines arrived at the scene shortly afterwards but by that time Mr Frost had already put out the fire.

Mr Frost’s bravery meant the house only suffered smoke and cosmetic damage with firefighters saying it could have been much worse.

After receiving treatment at the scene, Mr Frost was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation.

Mrs Jenkins-Foster and her three children were also taken to hospital for check-ups.

Mr Frost and the family were all given the okay and discharged from hospital in the early hours of the following morning.