Thousands more people in the East Riding told to shield over Covid-19 risks
Thousands more people in the East Riding have been told to shield after experts identified additional adults at serious risk of Covid-19.
NHS England data reveals that 8,175 people in the area were set to receive letters urging them to avoid leaving their home except for in certain circumstances, such as to exercise or attend health appointments.
It took the total number of people advised to shield in the area to 22,960 – a 55% increase.
The initial shielding list included people with single risk factors such as those with various cancers, people on immunosuppression drugs or those with severe respiratory conditions.
The list has been expanded after scientists developed a new tool which assesses whether someone is at risk of severe disease or death.
Up until February 10, there were 14,785 patients on the list of clinically extremely vulnerable people in this area.
Current advice states that shielding should continue until at least Wednesday, March 31.
Those newly identified following the Government announcement will get priority access for vaccines if they have not yet received a jab due to their age.
Across England, an extra 1.7 million people have been identified as clinically extremely vulnerable – up from 2.2 million previously identified – with the total currently standing at 3.8 million.
Dr Jenny Harries, deputy chief medical officer for England, said the 1.7 million will be eligible for additional support including medicine deliveries, priority slots for supermarkets and statutory sick pay.
She said: “All of these people who are identified for the first time are those who have not had an individual clinical condition that we’ve previously been able to identify through the clinically extremely vulnerable group, but they are people who have multiple personal risk factors and underlying health conditions which move them into a higher risk group.”