DCSIMG

On The History Trail: Grant replaced most of buildings in Pocklington centre

Thomas Grant (far right) at the opening of the new Post Office in November 1904 with his foreman Joseph Allison (Photo from Ken Durkin who thinks the photograph was taken by his great grandmother)

Thomas Grant (far right) at the opening of the new Post Office in November 1904 with his foreman Joseph Allison (Photo from Ken Durkin who thinks the photograph was taken by his great grandmother)

  • by Andrew Sefton
 

Thomas Grant was a Pocklington builder who built and replaced most of the buildings in the town centre in the late Victorian period. He was also an antiquarian and was interested in the town’s history.

His collection of artifacts were found whilst digging the foundations of the town are now dispersed, following a catalogue sale after his death in 1907.

The son of a bricklayer and proprietor of the Waterloo Hotel, his wealth was founded on his entrepreneurial spirit, and the family connection with the brewing and hotel trade. He was born in Pocklington on 9 April 1823, and was christened in Pocklington church on 11 April.

Read Andrew’s full article in next week’s (11 September) people’s paper.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page