DCSIMG

Kilnwick Percy Hall: Dating back to a time before William the Conqueror

Kilnwick Percy RP 1006-25

Kilnwick Percy RP 1006-25

  • by Pocklington Post reader Pete Redwood
 

The magnificent Georgian structure of Kilnwick Percy Hall and its 42 acres of pasture and woodland was once part of a much larger settlement.

In the tax returns for 1350 the village of Kilenwick, as it was then called, had 60 dwellings and two mills. Sadly a combination of plague, epidemics and poor harvests took its toll and by 1620 the village had virtually disappeared.

The origins of the Hall go back to a time before William the Conqueror.

Full feature in tomorrow’s Pocklington Post (13 February).

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page