Government funded grants of up to £3,500 (and up to £6,000 in areas where there is no mains gas) are available to homeowners and private tenants receiving certain income-related benefits, to help them keep warm and save money on energy bills.
The Warm Front scheme provides a package of insulation and heating measures tailored to meet individual needs, including loft and cavity-wall insulation, draught-proofing, hot-water-tank jackets and additional heating solutions such as installing a new central heating system, or repairing an existing one.
Keeping warm is important, especially in the colder weather, when some people find themselves spending more time at home. These improvements are designed to help home owners and private tenants keep warmer, healthier and more comfortable in their home.
Councillor Symon Fraser, cabinet portfolio holder for environment, housing and planning at East Riding of Yorkshire Council, said: “The Warm Front scheme offers a variety of benefits to homeowners and private tenants and is all the more important in a rural area like the East Riding. The scheme is also important in assisting older residents and the council would urge anyone who thinks they meet the criteria to contact us.”
Any resident eligible for the scheme will receive a visit from a technical surveyor to discuss what energy efficiency and heating measures are suitable for their home.
Grants for heating and insulation can be claimed by anyone who owns a home or rents one from a private landlord and are on certain benefits, such as:
* Pension credit
* Income-related employment and support allowance (that includes a work-related activity or support component)
* Income support allowance (ISA) or
* Income-based job seekers allowance (JSA), with one of the following:
* A pensioner premium
* A disability or severe disability premium (DP)
* Disabled child premium (DCP)
* Child tax credit (which includes a disability or severe disability element for a child or young person) for a child under the age of five living with the home owner/private tenant.
Warm Front will organise and pay for all work up to the value of the grant. This scheme is funded by the Government and managed by Carillion Energy Services.
For further information, contact Gail Hall, energy efficiency technical officer at East Riding of Yorkshire Council, on (01482) 396358.