Fire service issues strong warning

wicstun way

wicstun way

0
Have your say

HUMBERSIDE Fire and Rescue Service has issued a strong warning to residents after a spate of housefires in the area.

The fire service has stressed the importance of having a working smoke alarm and want people to take extra care in their homes by making sure electrical appliances are switched off when they are not being used.

The warning comes after three serious housefires in less than a month, one of which included a fatality.

The latest fire happened on Wicstun Way in Market Weighton on 15 January where five people, including three children, were taken to hospital.

The fire started when a baby bag left on top of a cooker set alight, which activated the smoke alarm.

On 6 January there was a similar housefire on Wheatlands Close in Pocklington where a tea towel was left on a hob and caught fire. A woman was inside the property and was treated for smoke inhalation after the blaze. Again the smoke detector fitted in the property activated and alerted the woman to the fire.

A month ago a housefire on Edward Street in Pocklington cost 47-year-old mum Patricia Wray her life.

In response to the recent fires, Humberside Fire and Rescue Service is urging residents to think about their safety.

Community fire safety staff have been talking to local residents, offering home fire safety advice and to have free smoke alarms fitted in their homes where required.

Since the fatal fire at the end of last month, fire safety staff have visited over 145 homes and have fitted 80 smoke alarms.

Michelle Emerson from Humberside Fire and Rescue Service said: “This very sad event in Pocklington highlights the need to think about how you can make yourself safer in the event of a fire.

“A working smoke alarm is essential but there are other ways in which you can stay safe from fire and increase your chances of survival should the worst happen.

“The advice we always give to people is to have a night time routine which includes shutting all doors and turning off electrical appliances. Have an escape plan and make sure everyone in the house knows what to do and where to go in the event of a fire. This includes making sure door and window keys are easily accessible to everyone in the house.

“These simple things can mean the difference between being trapped in a fire and being able to get out.”