RESIDENTS from the region have won a competition to select names for turbines at a wind farm in Sancton.
Five wind turbines began generating electricity at Sancton Hill in June this year and visitors to the wind farm’s first open day last month had the chance to choose names for the turbines.
The competition winners have seen their chosen names added to the turbine towers on plaques. The winning names are:
• Jessica (after 2012 Olympic gold medallist Jessica Ennis), chosen by Helen and Ben Townend
• Anemoi, suggested by Carol Richardson
• Endeavour, the idea of MacKenzie and Isabelle Theakston
• Terrific Turby, put forward by Beth Durrant-Walker
• Hi 5, chosen by The Duxbury Family
Neil Harris, construction and operations director for REG Windpower, which built the wind farm, said: “It is always a pleasure to show children around our wind farms. Their enthusiasm and understanding of the need for renewable energy is inspiring.
“We were also extremely impressed with the careful thought that went into picking these names for the turbines and are delighted that local people have accepted the wind farm as a feature of the community.”