Alarm warning after second housefire

Kids from the Dawdon Community Centre Adventure Club, which is looking for a local business to match-fund the money raised so far from donations.

Kids from the Dawdon Community Centre Adventure Club, which is looking for a local business to match-fund the money raised so far from donations.

0
Have your say

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service has stressed the importance of having a smoke alarm after another housefire in Pocklington.

The fire broke out last Thursday on Wheatlands Close about 4.40am where a woman was inside the property.

The woman was treated on the scene by paramedics for smoke inhalation after the blaze and then taken to hospital by ambulance.

The fire burned out by itself before firefighters arrived at the scene.

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service said the fire was caused by a tea towel left on the hob and that the smoke detector fitted in the property activated.

It is the second housefire in as many weeks after the blaze on Edward Street which cost 47-year-old mum-of-two Patricia Wray her life.

The fire service is reminding all residents of the importance of having a working smoke detector and to test it once a week.

A Humberside Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “Fortunately there was a smoke alarm fitted in the property which alerted the occupant to the fire.

“The cause of the fire was a tea towel which had been left on the top of the hob which had been left on accidentally. The fire was very small and fortunately went out by itself.

“This serves as a reminder of the importance of doing a bedtime check, making sure cookers and electric sockets are switched off and all internal doors are closed.

“It also demonstrates the importance of having a working smoke detector.

Since January 2010, seven house fires have claimed the lives of ten people within the Humberside area.

According to Mark Rhodes, Humberside Fire and Rescue Service’s Head of Operations and Community Protection, fires caused by carelessly discarded cigarettes is one of the biggest challenges facing the fire service.

He said: “In the past five years we have seen a huge increase in the number of fires which have started through carelessly discarded cigarettes and this is our biggest challenge at the moment.

“We cannot emphasise enough the need to take greater care with cigarettes.

“If they come into contact with furniture, bedding or other flammable goods in the house they will almost certainly cause a fire.

“Despite our ongoing efforts to educate people about the dangers of fire there is still much more to be done to prevent people from dying in their own homes.”

Residents wanting a home fire safety check or any fire safety information should call East Riding Community Protection Unit on (01482) 398502.

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service have said the housefire on Edward Street was caused by “carelessly discarded smoking materials.”

The funeral of Patricia Wray who died in the fire is taking place tomorrow, Friday 14 January, at All Saints’ Church in Pocklington.